Who can conduct PAT testing and what qualifications or experience do they need to have?
We are often asked if a company can conduct PAT testing in-house.
The IET (Institute of Engineering & Technology) Code of Best Practice for electrical safety, which helps you to ensure compliance with the Electrical Safety at Work Act 1989, requires that both a visual inspection and formal testing are performed.
As the duty holder within your company, it is your responsibility to ensure that both the inspection and testing is performed by someone suitably competent and experienced.
What defines a ‘Competent Person’ for PAT Testing?
In this context, a Competent Person must be able to:
- Perform the tasks without danger to themselves or others
- Be able to interpret the test results and make a valid judgement as to an item’s safety
- Determine whether the item will remain safe to use until the next test date
In order for someone to meet these criteria, and safely demonstrate the ability to put their judgements into practice, both training and experience will be required.
Request a PAT Testing Quote Contact Intersafe
Criteria for a Competent Person
It is suggested that the Competent Person for PAT Testing should have demonstrable knowledge and experience in the below areas:
- An adequate knowledge and practical experience of electricity and its hazards
- A clear understanding of precautions required to avoid danger
- The ability to recognise at all times whether it is safe for work to continue
- The ability to identify equipment and appliance types and class in order to determine the test procedures and frequency of inspection and testing
- Adequate understanding of the operating principles of both the test equipment and the unit under test
- The ability to create test records and take responsibility for the work
- Adequate knowledge of the required safety standards
- Adequate knowledge of possible hazards at an unfamiliar site
All of Intersafe’s PAT Testing engineers are experienced and qualified to a minimum standard of City & Guilds 2377 Electrical Equipment Maintenance & Testing and use the latest PAT Testing equipment from Seaward, so you can rely on them to perform testing accurately and efficiency.
Book a PAT Testing Engineer Contact Intersafe