Norfolk Chemical Site Fined After Contractor Suffered Electrical Burns

Norfolk chemical site fined after contractor suffered electrical burns.

A chemical site operator and electrical contractor in Norfolk have been fined after an employee suffered electrical burns.

Stephen Moore, a 29 year old, suffered burns to his hands, arms and face when he was working at a site installing a power monitoring module. A decision was made to drill in to the rear of the control centre he was working in, this caused an electrical flashover which burnt a hole in the cubicle back-plate and burnt Stephen.

Both companies failed to provide suitable risk assessments or suitable control measures. The case highlights that adequate supervision and a safe system of work could have prevented this incident from happening.

Angus Macrae, Director of Intersafe, said ‘this case sadly shows us that safe work practises still aren’t high enough on some employer’s agendas. Health and safety must be taken seriously to avoid dreadful situations like this.’

Both companies pleaded guilty to breaching Section 2(1) and 3(1) of the Health and Safety at Work Act 1974 and were fined £25,000 each and both were ordered to pay £11,407 in costs.

To meet your electrical safety at work needs, Intersafe delivers tailored solutions in PAT Testing, Periodic Testing and Thermal Imaging. Contact Angus by calling 02380 610101 or email to book an appointment.