The importance of regular and thorough PAT testing in the workplace was highlighted last month as Electrical Fire Safety Week took place.
Running from September 24 to 30, the national fire prevention campaign raised awareness about the importance of electrical fire safety and fire safety education.
The campaign was organised by the Electrical Safety Council (ESC), the independent charity dedicated to reducing electrical accidents at work and at home and was sponsored by the National Fire Protection Association (NFPA), the association for fire prevention and public safety.
Intersafe, which carries out PAT and periodic inspection and testing across the south of England and the UK, backed the campaign as part of its commitment to increasing safety in the workplace through thorough and regular electrical testing.
In the UK workplace it is the legal responsibility of employers and employees to ensure that electrical systems used under their control are safe.
Lorraine Carney, Head of Campaigns at the Electrical Safety Council, has expressed concern about fire safety, saying: "To help increase awareness of electrical safety, we continue to campaign in a range of areas to encourage people to have their electrics and electrical appliances checked regularly."
According to the Electrical Safety Council's statistics, there were in total 28 cases of low voltage electrocutions and fatal electrical burns in Great Britain in 2010/11 from low voltage electricity supplies and a further 2.5 million cases of people receiving a main voltage electric shock per year.
The Electrical Fire Safety Week was established to remind everyone of the importance of electrical installations and appliances testings and inspections.
If you are unsure whether your electrical installations meet all the safety requirements contact Intersafe on 02380 610101.